John Russell AWMM
Also known as
I. Gray AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM 7 Arney Crescent, Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs Isobel Florence Gray (wife), 7 Arney Crescent, Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Son of Andrew and Marie Glasgow (formerly Rainey); husband of Isabel Florence Gray of Remuera, Auckland.
Attended King's College 1912-17. He was an enthusiast for the Cadet movement at Kings.
Working for Keegan and Gray as a barrister, he was a noted alpinist and Territorial Army Officer.
In the Territorial force he served as a Major and, in June 1939, succeeded to the command of the 1st Battalion Auckland Regiment. He was subsequently appointed to the command of the 18th Auckland Battalion, the first Auckland Infantry Battalion formed for overseas service, after the outbreak of war. Commanded 4 Brigade 29 Jun -5 July 1942
He took a prominent part in the Battles of Greece and Crete. His letters to NZ describing the Crete Battle were regarded as being among the best examinations made of the campaign and were used for instructional purposes in the Northern Military District. From Crete Brigadier Gray was sent to Malta to advise the authorities there on anti-paratroop methods. Upon returning to Egypt he participated in the last Libyan campaign and was mentioned in the dispatches of Lt-Gen Sir Bernard Freyberg.
He was killed in action in a German attack on the New Zealand positions near El Alamein.
Remembered on the Takapuna War Memorial, The Strand, Takapuna.
Probably named I. Gray on the Takapuna War Memorial, near the Service Centre AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
El Alamein War Cemetery, Egypt AWMM I. G. 19. AWMM
King's College Auckland, Honour Roll Public - John A E - Researcher - 26 June 2015 - King's College Honour Roll compiled by John A Whelan
- Roll of Honour, Officers' Club Auckland, The Northern Club, 19 Princes Street, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- Takapuna War Memorial, The Strand, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- Takapuna War Memorial, (ex RSA Roll, on a boulder), The Strand, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- Roll of Honour, Freemasons, Te Awamutu Lodge No. 2221 E.C., Ellerslie Masonic Centre, 9A Robert Street, Ellerslie, Auckland AWMM
- Memorial plaque, Freemasons, Te Awamutu Lodge No. 2221 E.C., Ellerslie Masonic Centre, 9A Robert Street, Ellerslie, Auckland AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember John Russell Gray by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
John Russell Gray
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 1 (Embarkations to 31st March, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 1: WW2 69 AWMM
- Weekly News AWMM
Weekly News 29.7.1942, p.18. AWMM
- Dawson, W. (1961). 18 Battalion and Armoured Regiment. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.