Phillip Onslow AWMM
Also known as
- Onslow Cranwell Phillip Cullen AWMM
- Philip Onslow AWMM
WWI 6/3291 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 23 August 1915 AWMM Pakaraka, Bay of Islands, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
D. Cullen (brother), Pakaraka, Bay of Islands, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 13 November 1915 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Height, Unknown Period AWMM
5 feet 11 1/2 inches AWMM
- Weight, Unknown Period AWMM
160 pounds AWMM
- Eye colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Hair colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Classification, Unknown Period AWMM
Medically fit AWMM
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
20 December 1915 Disembarked at Suez . 9 January 1916 - Joined Battalion in Ismailia . 6 April 1916 - Embarked on the 'Francois" at Port Said for France. 16 June 1916 - Killed in action at Armentieres. Plaque and scroll despatched to Daniel Cullen (brother).
Onslow's last two diary entries are as follows:
June, 1916. Thursday, 15. Not too fine. Very dull. Slept all day and Harry Lemon brought some bread and jam we have had none issued this happening very often. Moving to front trench tonight. Time has [ ] shifted 1 hour today.
Friday 16. Sunshine. Was not allowed to sleep in dugouts last night. Slept on boards outside. Very cold. Had 5 shots at Fritz this morning.
Phillip was killed on 16 June 1916
Family in remembrance placed a photograph in the Hall of Memories, Auckland War Memorial Museum, on ANZAC Day 2011
Christened as Phillip but always called Onslow by the family. Auckland Museum Armoury Resource Centre, Biographical vertical file - Diary (photocopied) AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Phillip Onslow Cullen by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Phillip Onslow Cullen
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 167 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.