Also known as
WWI 16/1181 AWMM
1896 Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra Makefu
, Niue Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW1 Pre 30 September 1915 AWMM Makefu, Niue Island, Pacific Islands AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Tiahi (wife), Makefu, Niue Island, Pacific Islands AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- 30 September 1915 AWMMHeight, WWI AWMM
5 foot 5 inches AWMM
- 30 September 1915 AWMMWeight, WWI AWMM
135 pounds AWMM
- 14 July 1916 AWMMHospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
Invalided to New Zealand on the Arawa AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
5' 5" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
135 lb AWMM
Embarked, 4 February 1916; disembarked Suez, 15 March 1916.
Admitted to hospital, Cairo, 31 March 1916 (gastro enteritis); transferred to E C Hospital, Zeitoun, 23 April 1916.
Discharged to duty, 10 May 1916.
Embarked Alexandria on HT 'Ivernia' for Marseilles, France, 20 May 1916.
Attached to NZ Base Depot, Etaples, 3 June 1916.
Marched out of NZ Base Depot for England, 4 June 1916; marched in to NZ Convalescent Hospital, Hornchurch.
Commenced return to New Zealand on board SS 'Arawa', 14 July 1916; discharged (no longer physically fit for War Service on account of illness contracted on Active service), 27 October 1916.
Total war service 1 year 28 days (of which 213 days were abroad). AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Vakatama by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
25: 4 AWMM
- Pointer, M. (2015). Niue 1774-1974 : 200 years of conflict and change. Dunedin, New Zealand : Otago University Press. AWMM
- Pointer, M. (2000). Tagi tote e loto haaku - My heart is crying a little : Niue Island involvement in the Great War, 1914-1918. Alofi, Niue ; Suva, Fiji: Government of Niue ; Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific. AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- Weddell, H. (2016). Soldiers from the Pacific : the story of Pacific Island soldiers in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in World War One. Wellington, New Zealand : Defence of New Zealand Study Group. AWMM
- Soutar, M. (2019). Whitiki! Whiti! Whiti! E!: Maori In the First World War. New Zealand: David Bateman Ltd. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.