Also known as
23 April 1913 AWMM AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 25 December 1939 AWMM Glen Eden, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs Margaret Vaudrey (wife), Glen Eden, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 27 August 1940 AWMM Married AWMM
- WW2 POW - P.G. 107, Torva, Italy AWMM
Sidi Rezegh, Western Desert AWMM
13 Dec 1941-Apr 1945 AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag VII-A Moosburg (Isar), Germany AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag IV-D Torgau (Elbe), Germany AWMM
13 December 1941 AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag IV-D Torgau (Elbe), Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
WW2 1 April 1945 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Height, Unknown Period AWMM
5 feet 6 1/2 inches AWMM
- Died of Disease, Cause of Death AWMM
Immigrated to New Zealand with his parents and three siblings (two brothers and one sister), arriving in Wellington in early February 1921.
The family moved to Auckland where he received most of his schooling. He left just before his 14th birthday.
From 1927 to 1938, he worked on farms in the Bay of Plenty and Waikato.
While working in Tatanui, he met and married Margaret Scott Burberry on 14 October 1939.
With the outbreak of war in September 1939, he enlisted at Morrinsville and left with the 26th Battalion in August 1940.
While on a three-week layover in Bombay, India, he received word on the birth of his daughter, Margaret.
After further training in Egypt, he left with the Battalion for Greece where, after a disastrous campaign, he was evacuated back to Egypt aboard HMT Isis.
Was captured and taken prisoner in Libya on 30 November 1941, after German tanks overran his position, and then shipped from Tripoli to Naples, Italy, in late December, eventually ending up in a working camp (Camp 107) in northern Italy.
He escaped but was recaptured by the Germans, after having spent three months in the snow-covered high country while trying to rejoin the allied forces to the south in Rome. Was sent to Amsdorf, a working camp in Germany.
Was liberated by the American Texas Rangers in April, and shipped to Chelmsford, England, arriving on his 32nd birthday.
After repatriation to New Zealand, he worked for D.C. Street Construction Company, rebuilding the Waitoa Dairy factory. On its completion he went farming and remained in the Waitoa district until 1961, when he and his family to Manurewa, Auckland, where he worked for Marley Company until his retirement in 1974.
He and his wife retired in Cambridge, eventually settling in Lemington.
The Auckland Museum Library's manuscripts collection (MS 2005/6) holds material (letters, printed ephemera, certificates) relating to Vaudrey's wartime service. The museum's history department holds his KEV and POW Association life membership pins. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Ronald Vaudrey by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- Vaudrey, Ian David. Papers relating to war service of Ronald Vaudrey, 1940-1992. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2005/6. AWMM
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 3 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1940 to 31st March, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- Norton, F. (1952). 26 Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
- Information kindly provided by family AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.