Also known as
WWI 13/264 AWMM
Date of birth
27 July 1882. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 17 April 2018 - Military File :AWMM
Place of birth
England. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 17 April 2018 - Military File :AWMM
Address before enlistment
WW1 Unknown AWMM Wiri, Papatoetoe, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 W. Allsopp, Heathyard Farm, Stafford, England AWMM
Medals and Awards
Mentioned in Despatches (MID) : 11 February 1916 : 'London Gazette' : 28 March 1916 (#51). Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 17 April 2018 - Military File : AWMM
WW1 POW - Afion Kara Hissar, Turkey New Zealand High Commission, (1917).
Turkey, Asia AWMM
Engagement at Katia AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- 'Lieut. Edward O. Mousley, Royal Field Artillery, taken prisoner at Kut el Amara and now a prisoner of war in Angora, Turkey in Asia; and 2nd Lieut. Frank Allsopp, 11th Squadron, Auckland Mounted Rifles, reported to have been captured by the Turks in the recent engagement at Katia.(Chronicles of the NZEF, 30 August 1916, page 7)
For more information on the Auckland Mounted Rifles look at "Official War History of the Auckland Mounted Rifles Regiment, 1914-1919: The Story of Two Campaigns by C.G. Nicol. AWMM
- Lieutenant Frank Allsopp served - at Egypt - with the Auckland Mounted Rifles (1915-1916).
On 19 October 1916 (then) Lieutenant Allsopp was reported as a Prisoner of War, of the Turkish, and he was held at Afion Kara Hissar POW Camp, Constantinople, Turkey.
On 5 November 1918 Captain (promoted to this rank from 3 February 1918) Frank Allsopp was repatriated as a POW, from Turkey, to Egypt.
Captain Frank Allsopp returned home to New Zealand aboard HMT 'Rimutaka' - embarking from Suez, Egypt on 5 April 1919.
Captain Frank Allsopp was discharged from the NZEF on 25 June 1919. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 17 April 2018 - Military File : AWMM.
- Lieutenant Frank Allsopp was (most likely) captured, by the Turkish Forces, at the Battle of Romani (Palestine) - between 4-5 August 1916. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 17 April 2018 - Internet source.
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Frank Allsopp by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand High Commission (Great Britain). (1917). A short sketch of the work of the New Zealand Prisoners of War Department in London and of other undertakings connected with the war. London, England: High Commissioner for New Zealand. AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 12 AWMM
- Chronicles of the N.Z.E.F. AWMM
(Chronicles of the NZEF, 30 August 1916, page 7) AWMM
|17 April 2018||Jenifer||Wairarapa||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.