Alfred Ambrose AWMM
Also known as
WWI 69337 AWMM
21 September 1897 Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra Timaru
, Canterbury Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs E. Clarke (mother), 330 Tinakori Road, Wellington, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- The Auckland Regiment, being an account of the doings on Active Service of the First, Second and Third Battalions of the Auckland Regiment by O.E. Burton
Embarked Wellington, 8 February 1918; disembarked Liverpool, England, 29 March 1918.
Proceeded overseas to France from Camp Sling, 20 April 1918; taken on strength, 2nd Entrenching Bn, 30 May 1918.
Transferred to 1st Bn, Canterbury Infantry Regiment, 29 June 1918, and posted to A Company.
Admitted to No 2 NZ Field Ambulance, 19 August 1918; transferred same day to No 5 Casualty Clearing Station; to No 2 Canadian General Hospital, 20 May 1918; discharged to Base Depot, 25 August 1918; rejoined Bn, 10 September 1918.
Admitted to 2nd NZ Field Ambulance, 5 October 1918 (gas); transferred to 56th Casualty Clearing Station, 6 October 1918; transferred by Ambulance Train to 11th Stationary Hospital, Rouen, 7 October 1918; discharged to No 2 Convalescent Depot, Rouen, 21 October 1918.
Marched out to United Kingdom for return to New Zealand, 23 January 1919.
Commenced return to New Zealand from Plymouth on board SS 'Rimutaka', 5 April 1919; discharged, 25 June 1919. AWMM
- Alfred Ambrose Clarke died 9 July 1989 Wellington NZ. Public - Jane patricia - Direct descendant - 23 November 2018 - I was there I am his
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Alfred Ambrose Clarke by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Alfred Ambrose Clarke
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume IV. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
78: 4 AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2020). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-5). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
|23 November 2018||Jane patricia ||Woodville NZ||Direct descendant||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.