Also known as
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM C/o T.H. Howell, RD, Whakatane, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs B. Conolly (wife), C/o T H Howell, RD, Whakatane, New Zealand AWMM
Medals and Awards
- Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) AWMM
DSO: NZ Gazette, 21 September 1944, citation: "Lt Col Conolly commanded the left battalion in the tank and infantry attack east of the Roman Wall on the afternoon of 26 March 1943. About 1,000 yards short of the objective a minefield was found on the left portion of the battalion front and tanks were not able to assist the infantry in that area. The barrage had passed on and the battalion had to deal with a strong enemy position in daylight with the support only of their own weapons. After heavy fighting the position was successfully taken from the Germans with many prisoners and as soon as darkness fell, Lt Col Conolly organised his reserve company to destroy the enemy pockets still hodling out on the left flank of the position. Throughout the attack he travelled in a carrier organising and leading his command and inspiring them with his own courage and determination." AWMM
- Efficiency Decoration and 2 bars (ED**) AWMM
- 1939-1945 Star AWMM
- Africa Star AWMM
- Italy Star AWMM
- Defence Medal AWMM
- War Medal 1939-1945 with oak leaf AWMM
- New Zealand War Service Medal AWMM
- Coronation Medal 1953 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWII AWMM
Wounded 21 July 1942 during attack on El Mreir Depression, North Africa AWMM
Commanding Officer (CO) of 24 Infantry Battalion, 16 December 1942 - 5 February 1944; 20 March - 22 April 1944.
Commissioned Brigadier and CO of 3 NZ Infantry Brigade, 1950.
CO of 1 NZ Infantry Brigade, 1952.
Commissioned Honorary Colonel RNZIR, 1967. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Jack Conolly by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- Burdon, R. (1959). 24 Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
Military Service Record AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 3 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1940 to 31st March, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 3: WW2 96 AWMM
- Haigh, J., Polaschek, A. (Eds.). (1993). New Zealand and the Distinguished Service Order. Christchurch, N.Z.: Authors. AWMM
- Bay of Plenty Times AWMM
Bay of Plenty Times, 20 January 1995 AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.