Hugh Amuri AWMM
Also known as
Medals and Awards
- Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) AWMM
DSO: London Gazette, 30 April 1946. Citation: "Lieutenant Colonel Robinson commanded 20 NZ Armoured Regiment in the campaign from the crossing of the River Senio to the end of hostilities in Italy, during most of which time his Regiment was under command of 6 NZ Infantry Brigade. The successful co-operation between tanks and infantry which was an outstanding feature of the campaign was greatly due to Lieutenant Colonel Robinson who co-ordinated the armoured thrusts in conjunction with the infantry plan. By his untiring efforts, energy, resourcefulness and ability to make full use of flexibility once the battle was joined, the tanks under his command never failed to reach forward infantry by first light in all the major attacks ... The tanks under Lieutenant Colonel Robinson's command were always with the forward troops and this officer's presence with his squadrons was an inspiration to his men and imparted an extraordinary vigour and drive to the advance. At the River Po this officer personally reconnoitred, discovered and operated a ferry for the passage of Armour across the river before the pontoon bridge was complete. The deployment of his tanks across the river by this means consolidated the bridgehead and made possible the further rapid advance of the Division ... After passing from command of 6 NZ Infantry Brigade, Lieutenant Colonel Robinson's Regiment went on to mop up the last organised enemy resistance in Trieste. During the whole campaign Lieutenant Colonel Robinson's courage, initiative and complete disregard for personal danger were an inspiration to those who were privileged to serve under him, or work alongside him. He has displayed throughout powers of leadership of the highest order." AWMM
- Military Cross (MC) AWMM
30 December 1941 AWMM
The National Archives. Recommendation for Award for Robinson, Hugh Amuri. (Ref. WO 373/27/431). Military Cross. AWMM
- 1939-1945 Star AWMM
- Africa Star (8th Army clasp) AWMM
- Italy Star AWMM
- Defence Medal AWMM
- War Medal 1939-1945 with oak leaf AWMM
- New Zealand War Service Medal AWMM
- Coronation Medal 1953 AWMM
- Efficiency Decoration and 3 bars (ED***) AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Commanding Officer (CO) of 18 Armoured Regiment, March - July 1944.
CO of 20 Armoured Regiment, May - October 1945.
CO of 2 Armoured Regiment, 1951.
Member of NZ contingent to Victory Parade, London, UK, 1946.
Lt-Col H. A. Robinson, DSO, MC, m.i.d.; Waipukurau; born New Plymouth, 29 Sep 1912; farmhand; CO 18 Armd Regt Mar-Jul 1944; 20 Armd Regt May-Oct 1945; twice wounded. (Source: Burdon, R.M. 24 Battalion. p.330.) AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Hugh Amuri Robinson by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Hugh Amuri Robinson
- Burdon, R. (1959). 24 Battalion. Wellington, Dept. of Internal Affairs, War History Branch.
- New Zealand Electronic Text Collection topic page
- Burdon, R. (1959). 24 Battalion. Wellington, Dept. of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. Digital copy URL
- 'The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of distinguished services in the Middle East (including Egypt, East Africa, The Western Desert, The Sudan, Greece, Crete, Syria and Tobruk) during the period February 1941 to July 1941.' (London Gazette, 30 December 1941, p.7336.). Military Cross.
- The National Archives. Recommendation for Award for Robinson, Hugh Amuri. (Ref. WO 373/27/431). Military Cross.
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 1 (Embarkations to 31st March, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 1: WW2 155 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 15 (Embarkations from 1st January, 1945 to 31st December, 1945). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 15: WW2 122 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1950). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 16 (Embarkations from 1st January, 1946 to 30th June, 1948). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 16: WW2 113 AWMM
- Burdon, R. (1959). 24 Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
- Cody, J.F. (1961). New Zealand Engineers, Middle East. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
pp.105, 106. AWMM
- Loughnan, R. (1963). Divisional Cavalry. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
pp.26, 28, 61, 72, 73, 91, 108, 172, 192, 209, 212, 228, 269, 286, 294, 301, 308, 321–2, 324. AWMM
- McClymont, W. (1959). To Greece. Wellington, N.Z.: Department Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
- Dawson, W. (1961). 18 Battalion and Armoured Regiment. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
pp.430, 459, 461, 476, 491, 498. AWMM
- Pringle, D., & Glue, W. (1957). 20 Battalion and Armoured Regiment. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
pp.550, 555, 557–8, 579, 589, 594, 597, 602. AWMM
- Kay, R. (1967). Italy. Volume 2. From Cassino to Trieste. Dept. of Internal Affairs, Historical Publications Branch, Wellington, N.Z. AWMM
pp.37, 130, 186. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.