Stephen Shepherd AWMM
Also known as
- WWI 12/2600 AWMM
- WWII 989 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Wounds Diseases Etc., WWI AWMM
Wounded 4 times AWMM
- Died of Disease, Cause of Death AWMM
Heart attack AWMM
Son of William Shepherd Allen and Elixabeth Penelope Candlish. Husband of Mary Isabel Hay Allen (nee Foster). Brothers Robert Candlish Allen (12/3538) and Stephen Shepherd Allen (12/2600) served in WW1.
Transferred from British Army to NZ Forces, 18 May 1915.
Promoted to Colonel, 1920. Honorary Aide-de-camp (ADC) to NZ Governor-General, 1925.
Mayor of Morrinsville, 1927-28. Administrator, Western Samoa, 1928-32.
Commander of 1 NZ Infantry Brigade, 1920-24, 1933-37. Served WW2 as Military Secretary, 2 NZEF, Headquarters, Egypt, 1940-41.
His only son, Peter Russell Hay Allen, served with the Royal Navy, HM Submarine Upholder and was killed 18 April 1942. He died of a heart attack while driving near Maramarua on 4 November 1964. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Stephen Shepherd Allen by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Stephen Shepherd Allen
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 11 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 3 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1940 to 31st March, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 3: WW2 10 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 3: Includes portrait AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.