William Henry AWMM
Also known as
William Herbert AWMM
- WWI 10/1085 AWMM
- 28084 AWMM
24 September 1883 AWMM AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
- Pre 5 August 1914 AWMM No. 3 Line, Wanganui East, New Zealand AWMM
- 2 North Terrace, Kelburn, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
- Mrs E. Brown (mother), Eastown Road, Wanganui East, New Zealand AWMM
- Mrs G.W. Cunningham (wife), Eastown Road, Wanganui East, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
Wounded at Gallipoli. AWMM
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWII AWMM
Invalided to NZ, March 1942 AWMM
Son of Elizabeth Harriet and William Henry Cunningham
Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire - Civil (KBE)
Commanding Officer (CO) of 2 Battalion, Wellington Regiment during WWI.
Commanding Officer 1 Battalion, Hawkes Bay Regiment, 1924-29.
Commander of 2 NZ Infantry Brigade, 1929-39.
Appointed Commander of 8 NZ Infantry Brigade, Fiji, October 1940.
General Officer Commanding (GOC) in Fiji, January 1941-March 1942.
President of NZ Law Society, 1950.
Listed as William Herbert Cunningham on the Nominal Roll and as William Henry by Haigh, J. and Polaschek, A. (1993) AWMM
20 April 1959 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember William Henry Cunningham by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
William Henry Cunningham
- Haigh, J., Polaschek, A. (Eds.). (1993). New Zealand and the Distinguished Service Order. Christchurch, N.Z.: Authors. AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 3 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1940 to 31st March, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 168 AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 3: WW2 109 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2020). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-5). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
- Weddell, H. (2016). Soldiers from the Pacific : the story of Pacific Island soldiers in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in World War One. Wellington, New Zealand : Defence of New Zealand Study Group. AWMM
|12 September 2015||Victoria||Wellington||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.