Alexander Smith AWMM
Also known as
- WWII 8/39 AWMM
- WWII 10491 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Served with the Otago Infantry Battalion during World War 1.
Served as a Major with the Otago Regiment, 1926-36.
Joined 2 NZ Expeditionary Force (2 NZEF) as Lieutenant Colonel, 1939 and embarked with the 23 Battalion.
Commanding Officer (CO) of 23 Battalion, Greece & Crete, 1940-41.
Brigadier and Commander of 7 NZ Infantry Brigade, UK, 1941.
Commandant of Maadi Camp, Egypt, 1941-42.
Commander of 5 New Zealand Division, NZ, 1943.
Overseas Commissioner of NZ Patriotic Fund Board, 1944-45. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Alexander Smith Falconer by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Alexander Smith Falconer
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 221 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 2 (Embarkations to 30th June, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 2: WW2 60 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 12 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1943 to 31st December, 1943). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 12: WW2 59 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
- Ross, A. (1959). 23 Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.