Also known as
- South African 160 AWMM
- South African 5873 AWMM
- WWI 8/1173 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
- South African Pre 1901 AWMM Balclutha, New Zealand AWMM
- South African Pre 1902 AWMM Balclutha, New Zealand AWMM
- WW1 Pre 21 October 1914 AWMM The Retreat, Waikawa, Southland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Mrs A.M. Mitchell (wife), The Retreat, Waikawa, Southland, New Zealand AWMM
- Pre 21 October 1899 AWMM Single AWMM
- Pre 8 February 1902 AWMM Single AWMM
- Pre 14 December 1914 AWMM Married AWMM
Married, 4 children AWMM
Medals and Awards
- Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) AWMM
DSO citation: "For distinguished service in the field [France and Flanders]." (London Gazette, 1 January 1918, p29) AWMM
- Order of Karageorge, 4th Class with Swords (Serbia) AWMM
Order of Karageorge citation: "For distinguished services rendered during the course of the campaign." (London Gazette, 15 February 1917, p1608) AWMM
- Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal AWMM
- New Zealand Territorial Service Medal AWMM
- Queen's South Africa Medal (Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Transvaal, South Africa 1902 clasps) AWMM
- Mentioned in Despatches (MiD) AWMM
MiD. citation: "Mentioned in Field Marshall D. Haig's despatch of 7 November 1917 for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty during the period February 26th to midnight September 20-21st, 1917." (London Gazette, 28 December 1917, p13575) AWMM
- 1914-1915 Star AWMM
- British War Medal (1914-1920) AWMM
- Victory Medal with oak leaf AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Husband of Alice Mary nee Bain.
After serving with the 1st Contingent of the New Zealand Mounted Rifles in South Africa, Mitchell returned to New Zealand and re-enlisted for a second tour of duty, emabraking for South Africa with the 8th Contingent as Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (RQMS).
He joined the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in 1914 with the rank of Major.
Promoted to Lt Colonel on 15 March 1917.
Appointed Commanding Officer (CO) of 3 Otago (Reserve) Battalion, New Zealand Entrenching Group, New Zealand Base Depot.
Served as a Minister of Parliament (MP) for New Zealand after the war.
Service number 5873 8th Contingent AWMM
16 March 1939 AWMM
Age 62 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Karori Cemetery, Wellington, New Zealand AWMM CH ENG2, Plot 316 G AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember George Mitchell by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- St Clair Inglis, A. (c1902). Souvenir Album of the first New Zealand Contingent South African War. Auckland, N.Z.: Arthur Cleave & Co. AWMM
Military Service Record AWMM
- New Zealand Contingents to South Africa: Nominal Rolls (1901). Wellington, N.Z.: Government Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 509 AWMM
- New Zealand Contingents to South Africa: Nominal Rolls, (1902). Wellington, N.Z.: Government Printer. AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
- Stowers, R. (2009). Rough riders at war : history of New Zealand's involvement in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 and information on all members of the 10 New Zealand contingents. Hamilton, N.Z.: R. Stowers. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.