Eugene Joseph AWMM
Also known as
Medals and Awards
- Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) AWMM
CMG citation: "For services rendered in connection with the War." (London Gazette, 1 January 1919, p82) AWMM
- Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) AWMM
DSO: London Gazette, 3 June 1915. Citation: "On the 25 and 26 April 1915 during the operations at Gape Tepe (Gaba Tepe), for exceptionally good service and exhibiting initiative and resource in command of a bearer subdivision." (LG, 3 July 1915, p6540) AWMM
- Queen's South Africa Medal (Cape Colony, Rhodesia, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 clasps) AWMM
- 1914-1915 Star AWMM
- British War Medal (1914-1920) AWMM
- Victory Medal AWMM
- 1939-1945 Star AWMM
- Pacific Star AWMM
- War Medal 1939-1945 with oak leaf AWMM
- New Zealand War Service Medal AWMM
- Volunteer Officer's Decoration (VD) AWMM
- Colonial Auxiliary Forces Decoration AWMM
- New Zealand Long and Efficient Service Medal AWMM
- New Zealand Territorial Service Medal AWMM
According to Haigh & Polaschek, O'Neill was taken prisoner during the Anglo-Boer War but was released "after a most interesting conversation." (p192) Stowers records that he was released "after some stern words to the Boers." (p167)
He was promoted to Surgeon-Major in 1903.
When he enlisted with the NZEF in 1914, he was appointed Commanding Officer (CO) of 1 Field Ambulance, New Zealand Medical Corps (NZMC).
He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1916 and appointed CO of NZ Stationary Hospital, Amiens.
Promoted to Colonel and CO of 2 NZ General Hospital, 15 August 1918.
Served as a Volunteer Surgeon with the NZ Merchant Navy, 1939-41. AWMM
24 April 1962 AWMM
Age 87 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Karori Cemetery, Wellington, New Zealand AWMM Soldiers, Plot 15 F/5 AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Eugene Joseph O'Neill by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Eugene Joseph O'Neill
- McDonald, W. (2001). Honours and awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War, 1914-1918. Napier, N.Z.: Helen McDonald. AWMM
- Haigh, J., Polaschek, A. (Eds.). (1993). New Zealand and the Distinguished Service Order. Christchurch, N.Z.: Authors. AWMM
- New Zealand Contingents to South Africa: Nominal Rolls (1901). Wellington, N.Z.: Government Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 553 AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Stowers, R. (2002). Rough Riders at War: history of New Zealand's involvement in the Anglo-Boer war 1899-1902 and information on all members of the ten New Zealand contingents. Author: Hamilton, N.Z. AWMM
- Creswell, J. (1967). Sea warfare 1939-1945 : [a short history] (Rev. and augmented ed.). Berkley, California: University of California Press. AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.