Hoani Haereroa AWMM
Also known as
WWII 7120 AWMM
Medals and Awards
- Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) AWMM
DSO: NZ Gazette, 30 April 1946. Citation: "Lieutenant Colonel Parata was in command of 18 NZ Armoured Regiment during the attack over the Santerno River on 12 April 1945. He was supporting 5 NZ Infantry Brigade who were in the right of the Division. Only one route was available for tanks and consequently the right hand battalion was very soon in serious difficulties. Unfortunately the railway embankment which ran between the two battalions was an anti-tank obstacle, well covered by small arms fire and artillery. Lieutenant Colonel Parata, swiftly appreciating the situation, made a personal reconnaissance for a route over the embankment ... Only be personally showing the bulldozer operators his requirements was he able to build the route. This meant exposing himself to a danger not normally expected of any man. Lieutenant Colonel Parata throughout this and subsequent actions showed himself to be a great inspiration to his Regiment and all about him." (Haigh & Polaschek, p195) AWMM
- Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) AWMM
CBE. Civil. 1983. For services to the community. AWMM
- 1939-1945 Star AWMM
- Africa Star (8th Army clasp) AWMM
- Italy Star AWMM
- Defence Medal AWMM
- War Medal 1939-1945 AWMM
- New Zealand War Service Medal AWMM
- Coronation Medal 1953 AWMM
- Efficiency Decoration (ED) AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire - Civil (CBE).
Served with 27 (Machine Gun) Battalion, 1939-40.
Squadron Commander with 2 Army Tank Battalion in New Zealand, January 1942 - June 1943.
Served with 19 Armoured Regiment, July 1943 - June 1944.
Commanding Officer (CO) of 19 Armoured Regiment, November 1944 - March 1945.
CO of 18 Armoured Regiment, March - May 1945.
Promoted to Brigadier, 1954.
Served as Commander of 3 NZ Infantry Brigade, 1954 - 1957.
Noteworthy as first Maori to reach the rank of Brigadier in the New Zealand Forces. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Hoani Haereroa Parata by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Hoani Haereroa Parata
- Haigh, J., Polaschek, A. (Eds.). (1993). New Zealand and the Distinguished Service Order. Christchurch, N.Z.: Authors. AWMM
- Military Personnel file AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 1 (Embarkations to 31st March, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 1: WW2 138 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 12 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1943 to 31st December, 1943). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 12: WW2 148 AWMM
- Kay, R. (1958). 27 (Machine Gun) Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.