Cyril Henry AWMM
Also known as
- Mac Baigent AWMM
- Baige AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Posted to Royal Air Force (RAF) in UK, September 1941.
Served his first tour of duty (32 operations) with 15 Squadron, RAF, 1942.
Served a second tour of duty (55 operations) with 115 Squadron, RAF, 1943.
Took part in the first two 1000-bomber raids:
1) on Cologne, Germany on 31 May/1 June 1942,
2) on Essen, Germany on 1/2 June 1942.
Appointed Squadron Leader, November 1943.
Promoted to Wing Commander and appointed Commanding Officer (CO) of 75 (New Zealand) Squadron, RAF early in 1945. Baigent was only 22 at the time and was therefore the youngest Squadron Commander in RAF Bomber Command.
Returned to New Zealand in 1949 with a permanent commission as Squadron Leader and senior Administrative Officer at Whenuapai air base.
Wing Commander and Commandant, Whenuapai, February 1953.
Buried in Nelson, New Zealand AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Cyril Henry Baigent by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Cyril Henry Baigent
In tribute to the CO of 75(NZ)Sqn RAF, and 75 Squadron RNZAF. From the 75 Squadron Association of New Zealand.
75Sqn Assn NZ
Public - Glen - Researcher - 8 December 2015
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1942). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 5 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1941 to 30 September, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Thompson, H. (1956). New Zealanders with the Royal Air Force (Vols. 1-3). Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
- Franks, N. (1991). Forever strong : the story of 75 Squadron RNZAF 1916-1990. Auckland, N.Z.: Random Century. AWMM
|04 July 2016||Simon Robert||Helsby, United Kingdom||Researcher||
|08 December 2015||Glen||Bulls, New Zealand||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.