Claude Hern AWMM
Also known as
- Claude Hereward Hern Baigent AWMM
- Jim AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 24 November 1939 AWMM RD, Gisborne, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs M.A. Baigent (wife), RD, Gisborne, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 1943 AWMM Married AWMM
Married, 1 child AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Height, Unknown Period AWMM
5 feet 8 3/4 inches AWMM
- Hair colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Eye colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Complexion, Unknown Period AWMM
- Died of Disease, Cause of Death AWMM
Died Coronary Occlusion AWMM
Son of Amelia Bertha Baigent and Leon Hern Baigent.
Returned to Gisborne in 1944, where he worked as an accountant and farmer while also running an agricultural contracting business.
Later moved to New Plymouth, where he worked as an accountant with Ivon Watkins.
Obtained a commercial pilot's licence in the 1950s and became Chief Flying Instructor at the New Plymouth Aero Club. Baigent also operated his own aerial topdressing and spraying company, McReady/Baigent Aviation.
Baigent later moved into dairy farming.
In 1963 he moved to Auckland and started a photographic studio on the North Shore. Baigent died suddenly later that same year.
The Auckland Museum's manuscripts collection holds copies of Baigent's RNZAF identity card, Air Observers School graduation dinner menu, and several photographs (MS 2006/28).
Listed by BDM as Claude Hereward Hern Baigent AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Birkenhead-Glenfield Cemetery, corner Eskdale and Glenfield Roads, Birkenhead, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM Public Lawn Row P Plot 67 AWMM
Death notice: New Zealand Herald, September, 1963 AWMM
Memorial paver, NZ Quadrant of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Claude Hern Baigent by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Claude Hern Baigent
- Baigent, Claude Hern. Papers relating to war service, 1943-1944. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS-2006/28. AWMM
- Martyn, E. (1998-2008). For Your Tomorrow (Vols. 1-3). Christchurch, N.Z.: Volplane Press. AWMM
- The New Zealand Herald AWMM
Death notice: September, 1963 AWMM
- This record is a work in progress and was partially compiled from the “Database of New Zealand Airmen who took part in Advanced Air Training in Canada during WW2”. Researched by Ivan and Lorna Lindsey of Tauranga. N.Z. 2003 – 2012. Reproduced with permission. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.