Walter Henry AWMM
Also known as
Walter Henry Hurley AWMM
- WWI 24/401 AWMM
- South African SA2259 AWMM
- 5435 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Oxford Street, Lansdowne, Masterton, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs E.M. Denby (wife), Oxford Street, Lansdowne, Masterton, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 9 October 1915 AWMM Married AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
5' 9" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
154 lb AWMM
Walter Denby was the husband of Mrs. E. M. Denby, of Oxford St., Lansdowne, Masterton, New Zealand.
Embarked Wellington, 10 October 1915; disembarked Egypt, 18 November 1915.
Joined Western Frontier Force (Senussi uprising), 21 November 1915; proceeded to Ismailia, 17 January 1916.
Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, France, 6 April 1916.
Killed in action, 15 September 1916. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Caterpillar Valley (New Zealand) Memorial, Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Walter Henry Denby by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Walter Henry Denby
Coming up to 100 years since your passing. Memories passed through the generations have left scars, though none so painful as what you witnessed and took with you. Thank you for your contribution to the war effort, and to assisting the setting of freedoms we have today. You are missed. You are remembered.
Public - Sarah - Direct descendant - 19 February 2016
Dear Great Great Grandfather Walter Denby.Thank you for fighting for our freedom and independence in NZ. I am very grateful for what you and all the other ANZACS did in all of the war's WW1 and WW2 eg: battle of the Somme, the battle of Passchendaele, Gallipolli and Monte Casino. Love your Great Great Grandson Callum.
Public - Callum - Other Relative - 7 April 2015
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Page No: 184 AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 3: Includes portrait AWMM
- Stowers, R. (2009). Rough riders at war : history of New Zealand's involvement in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 and information on all members of the 10 New Zealand contingents. Hamilton, N.Z.: R. Stowers. AWMM
|19 February 2016||Sarah||New Zealand||Direct descendant||
|07 April 2015||Callum ||Auckland NZ||Other Relative||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.