Leonard Cave AWMM
Also known as
WWI 10/478 AWMM
15 March 1894 Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM 18 Guyton Street, Wanganui, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
John E. Armstrong, Railway Department, Wanganui, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 16 October 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Son of John E. and M.M. Armstrong, of Willis Street, Sedgebrook, Wanganui.
"Left with the Main Expeditionary Force in October, and spent six months in Egypt. He was wounded on May 8th, 1915, and conveyed to a transport, where he died the following day. He will be remembered for his swimming, which won for him the Senior Championships in 1911."
Embarked Wellington, 16 October 1914; disembarked Alexandria, 3 December 1914.
Died of wounds on board HMT 'Southland' en route to Alexandria from Gallipoli, 9 May 1915.
Parents: J. E. and M. M. Armstrong, Willis Street, Sedgebrook, Wanganui AWMM
- Lone Pine Memorial, Lone Pine Cemetery, Anzac, Turkey AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Leonard Cave Armstrong by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Leonard Cave Armstrong
- In Memoriam, 1914-1918. (1919).Wanganui, N.Z.: Collegiate School. AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 20 AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
- The Fields of Remembrance Trust: Brothers Field, Auckland Museum (Armistice, 2018) AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.