Mildred Jane AWMM
Also known as
WWI 22/116 AWMM
1874 AWMM AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 6 July 1915 AWMM Castlecliff, Wanganui, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs Jane Ellis (mother), 22 Knowles Street, Saint Albans, Christchurch, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 10 July 1915 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Daughter of Jane Ellis and Nicholas Ellis.
Wife of Lieutenent H.S. Salt, son of Reverend Edmond Salt, England
Mildred Salt trained at Wellington and achieved State Registered Nurse registration in 1909.
Weekly News 1916 p98. "Active service wedding took place at one day's notice in the NZGH Port-de-Koubbeh, Cairo on 21 May 1916 when 2nd Lieut. J.G.W. Salt was married to Mildred Ellis NZANS. Both bride and groom went out to Egypt a year ago attached to N.Z. staff and Mr. Salt has since received an Imperial Commission to the 13th Manchester Regiment. The wedding took place in the patients dining hall, which had been decorated by the matron and staff.
The ceremony was performed by Chaplain-Major McKenzie Gibson assisted by Chaplain McDonald, while Captain Urich played the wedding march. The bride was given away by Colonel Parkes C.M.G.. She wore her simple indoor military uniform. She was attended by Sister Anderson of Auckland and Sergeant Henderson, also of Auckland, was best man. Directly after the wedding the couple left for a short honeymoon. The following week Lieut. Salt left for "Somewhere" and Mrs Salt returned to duty at the hospital."
Remained on staff after her marriage.
Discharged in England, address Suffolk, England.
Enlisted as Ellis; married whilst on service and papers listed as ELLIS, Mildred Jane - [a.k.a. SALT, Mildred Jane] - WW1 22/116 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Mildred Jane Ellis by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Mildred Jane Ellis
- New Zealand Military Nursing - A History of the R.N.Z.N.C. Boer War to Present Day AWMM
- Kai Tiaki : the journal of the nurses of New Zealand. Wellington, N.Z.: Watkins. AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 214 AWMM
- Service Women Project: Sponsorship to research this record was kindly provided by the Auckland Returned Services Association, Returned Servicewomen's Branch; Marjorie Traill, Dorothy Grant, Daphne Shaw and Margaret Woollett. AWMM
- McNabb, S. (2015). 100 years New Zealand military nursing : New Zealand Army nursing service : Royal New Zealand Nursing Corps, 1915-2015. Hawke's Bay, N.Z.: Sherayl McNabb. AWMM
- Colin M. Gordon Album (1915-1918). Auckland War Memorial Museum - Tāmaki Paenga Hira PH-ALB-376. AWMM
- Unknown, photographer (1915-1916). [Agnes (Peggy) Williams photograph album]. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Tāmaki Paenga Hira PH-2017-2-3. AWMM
|29 December 2015||Victoria||Wellington||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.