Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 1914 AWMM 29 East Street, Newton, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Miss May Bishop (wife), C.P.O., Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 14 December 1914 AWMM Married AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Height, Unknown Period AWMM
5 foot 9.5 inches AWMM
- Weight, Unknown Period AWMM
117.5 pounds AWMM
- Hair colour, Unknown Period AWMM
Light brown AWMM
- Eye colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Tattoos, Unknown Period AWMM
Tattoo mark on right and left arm AWMM
WW1 22 January 1920 AWMM
No longer physically fit on account of wounds received in action AWMM Sergeant AWMM
Husband of May (married 26 June 1886. Father of William George John (b 1906); Claude Daniel b Suva, Fiji.
Served 5 years 95 days.
At WW1 attested he worked with the USS Company as a boilermaker.
Served in the South Afica under true name William George James Bishop. Enlisted and served during WW1 as William George James McLaughlin. Nominal Roll has name of next of kin as McLaughlin. Declaration signed in April 1918 for ture name. AWMM
3 April 1932 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Waikumete Cemetery, Glen Eden, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM Block C, Sec 17, No 119 AWMM
Death notice: Star AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William George James Bishop by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
William George James Bishop
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 463 AWMM
- Stowers, R. (2009). Rough riders at war : history of New Zealand's involvement in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 and information on all members of the 10 New Zealand contingents. Hamilton, N.Z.: R. Stowers. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.