Also known as
WWI 9/698 AWMM
25 May 1888 Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra Dunedin
, Otago Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Tarras, Otago, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs C. Foster (mother), Lowburn Ferry, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 14 December 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Died of Sickness, Cause of Death AWMM
Died of enteric AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
6' 0.5" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
173 lb AWMM
Son of Christina Foster, of Lowburn Ferry, Cromwell, Central Otago, and the late Edward Foster
Admitted to NZ Field Ambulance, 13 August 1915 (pleurisy); transferred to Base Hospital, Anzac, 13 August 1915; transferred by HS 'Salta' to Malta, and admitted to hospital, 17 August 1915 ('seriously ill': debility); listed as 'dangerously ill' (debility and pleurisy), 12 October 1915.
Died of interior bronchial pneumonia, 16 November 1915.
Parents: Christina Foster, Lowburn Ferry, Cromwell, Central Otago, and the late Edward Foster AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William Foster by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
In loving memory of my grandmothers brother.
I have postcards he sent from war plus photos.
He was one of 3 brothers who went to WW1 and never returned.
We will never forget.
Public - Anna - Other Relative - 20 April 2015
- Scadden, J. (2018). Broken branches : New Zealand families who lost three or more children in the Great War. AWMM
Military Service Record AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 241 AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
- The Fields of Remembrance Trust: Brothers Field, Auckland Museum (Armistice, 2018) AWMM
|18 August 2019||Selena||Porthcawl, South Wales ||Researcher||
|29 September 2017||DJ||Toronto Canada||Researcher||
|20 April 2015||Anna||Christchurch New Zealand||Other Relative||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.