- Eric Mennington AWMM
- Eric Mannington Public - Geoffrey - Researcher - 16 September 2018 - CWGC/Birth registration
Births Sep 1893
Austin Eric Mannington Hastings
Also known as
WWI 24/339 AWMM
Date of birth
1893 Public - Geoffrey - Researcher - 16 September 2018 - FreeBMD
Place of birth
Birth registered in Hastings, Sussex, England
Births Sep 1893
Austin Eric Mannington Hasting Public - Geoffrey - Researcher - 16 September 2018 - FreeBMD
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Care of Mrs McLennan, Main Street, Pahiatua, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs C. Austin (mother), care of A. Sayers, Ardingly, near Hayward's Heath, England AWMM
Pre 9 October 1915 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Eric Austin was the son of Charlotte Austin, of Ardingly, Sussex, England, and the late William Alabaster Austin. AWMM
- Rifleman 24/339, 2/3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade. The New Zealand Division.
Killed in action at Flers/Courcelette during the Somme Offensive 15th September 1916.
Commemorated on Caterpillar Valley (New Zealand) Memorial at Longueval.
His brother, Private Frank Ernest Austin, Service Number 235223, aged 21, fell in action at Ypres 28th August 1917 whilst serving with the 2/7th. Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment. 61st South Midland Division. He was born in Brockley,Somerset, [birth record not found] lived in Hastings, Sussex and enlisted in Brighton. Commemorated on The Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium.
They were sons of William Alabaster & Charlotte Austin of Jenkins Croft, Ardingly. Both are remembered on the Ardingly War Memorial in St Peters church.Frank is remembered on the East Grinstead War Memorial Public - Geoffrey - Researcher - 16 September 2018 - CWGC
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Caterpillar Valley (New Zealand) Memorial, Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France AWMM
- He is remembered on the Ardingly War Memorial in St Peters church. Public - Geoffrey - Researcher - 16 September 2018 - Personal visit to Ardingly, Sussex
Roll of Honour
Remember Eric Mennington Austin by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Eric Mennington Austin
|16 September 2018||Geoffrey||Tilbury, England||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.