Alfred Lewis AWMM
Also known as
WWI 26/994 AWMM
Date of birth
30 August 1894 Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 6 October 2016 - Military File of Rifleman Alfred L. Garbett - Auckland Cenotaph.
Place of birth
Lyell, Buller, West Coast of the South Island, New Zealand. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 6 October 2016 - Military File of Rifleman Alfred L. Garbett - Auckland Cenotaph.
Address before enlistment
Murchison, Nelson Region. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 6 October 2016 - Military File of Rifleman Alfred L. Garbett - Auckland Cenotaph.
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs W. Downie (sister), Murchison, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Alfred Garbett was the son of Eleanor Jackson (formerly Garbett), of 43 Sutherland Rd., Melrose, Wellington, New Zealand. Native of Lyell, Westport.
Middle name spelled Lewis in Nominal Roll and spelled Louis in Archway. AWMM
- Brother of Rifleman Amos H. Garbett (service # 18986) of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade, NZEF - who was killed in action - 7 June 1917 - at Ypres, Belgium. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 6 October 2016 - Military file of Rifleman Amos H. Garbett - Auckland Cenotaph.
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Caterpillar Valley (New Zealand) Memorial, Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Alfred Lewis Garbett by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Alfred Lewis Garbett
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
24: 26 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 4: Includes portrait AWMM
- The Fields of Remembrance Trust: Brothers Field, Auckland Museum (Armistice, 2018) AWMM
|06 October 2016||Jenifer||Wairarapa New Zealand||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.