James Archibald AWMM
Also known as
WWI 13/2893 AWMM
3 October 1889 Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra Whangarata
, Waikato Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
James Russell Pirritt (father), Kiwitahi Road, Morrinsville, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 8 January 1916 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Height, Unknown Period AWMM
5 foot 10.5 inches AWMM
- Complexion, Unknown Period AWMM
- Hair colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Eye colour, Unknown Period AWMM
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
New Zealand General Hospital, Cairo, Influenza 4 March 1916 AWMM
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
5' 10.5" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
160 lb AWMM
James Pirrit was the son of James and Agnes J. Pirrit, of Kiwitahi, Morrinsville, Waikato. He was the 2nd son in a family of 12 children.
James Pirrit was killed in the Battle of Flers-Courcelette.
Remembered at Pukekohe Intermediate School, with Memorial stones & loving memory roses.
His brothers, Blair Joseph Pirrit (54775) and David Andrew Pirrit (33600) also served in France 1917-1918.
Surname listed as Pirritt in the Nominal Rolls
Embarked Wellington, 18 January 1916; disembarked Suez, 12 February 1916.
Appointed Acting Lance Corporal, 19 February 1916.
Admitted to NZ General Hospital, Cairo, 2 March 1916 (influenza); discharged, 10 March 1916.
Transferred to Auckland Infantry Bn, 18 March 1916, and appointed Temporary Lance corporal.
Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, France, 8 April 1916.
Appointed Temporary Corporal, in the field, 1 July 1916.
Promoted Corporal, 14 August 1916.
Killed in action, 15 September 1916.
Parents: James and Agnes J. Pirrit, Kiwitahi, Morrinsville, Auckland
Surname incorrectly recorded on Nominal Roll as PIRRITT. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Caterpillar Valley (New Zealand) Memorial, Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
- Pukekohe Intermediate School, WW1, Memorial stones & loving memory roses AWMM
- Roll of Honour, Tuakau, WW1, 1914 - 1918, Tuakau Memorial Hall, George Street, Tuakau, Waikato, New Zealand AWMM
- Tuakau War Memorial, Tuakau Services Cemetery, corner of Alexandra Redoubt Road and Roberts Road, Tuakau, Waikato, New Zealand AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember James Archibald Pirrit by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
James Archibald Pirrit
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
21: 3 AWMM
- Franklin county news AWMM
Alexander, E. (2 March 2006). Memorial Stones ceremony organised. Franklin County News. AWMM
- Miller, R. (Ed.). (2012). Pukekohe's memorial stones. Auckland, N.Z.: Franklin Historical Society. AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.