Also known as
WWI 11/564 AWMM
10 October 1893 AWMM AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 15 August 1914 AWMM Uruti, Taranaki, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
George Baldwin (father), Waerenga, Waikato, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 16 October 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
Hospitalised in 1917 AWMM
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
Edwin Baldwin was the son of George and Elizabeth Mary Baldwin, formerly of Victoria, Australia. He migrated with his parents and siblings c1906. His parents settled in the Waikato, c1920 in Okaerio, Waerenga, Waikato.
Three sons, brothers served in WW1, Edwin Baldwin (11/564) with the NZEF; and William Frank Baldwin (10093?) and Leslie Lanyon Baldwin (2206) enlisted with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF).
Edwin was originally buried in the same grave as Captain Herrick (Wellington Mounted Rifles) AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel AWMM B. 54. AWMM
- Waikumete Cemetery, Glen Eden, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Family plot memorial, Waikumete Cemetery, Auckland, New Zealand Public - Sarndra - Researcher - 2 August 2016 - Personal visit
ANGLICAN DIVISION E Row 10, Plot 36 Public - Sarndra - Researcher - 2 August 2016 - http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/parksfacilities/cemeteries/Pages/cemeterysearch.aspx
- Ayun Kara Memorial (destroyed), Palestine AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Edwin Baldwin by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Remembering my Grandmother's brothers Edwin, Lesley and Frank (William) Baldwin. Will be paying our respects at Uruti tomorrow. Very proud of these men.
Public - Kathleen Elizabeth - Other relative - 24 April 2018
From your distant relative - second cousin twice removed.
Public - Murray - Other relative - 3 October 2017
You signed up in your adopted country and paid the ultimate price.
- Auckland Weekly News AWMM
Auckland Weekly News, 1918 AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 30 AWMM
- Powles, C.G. (Ed). (1928). History of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles 1914-19. Auckland, N.Z.: Whitcombe & Tombs. AWMM
Ayun Kara Memorial (since destroyed) erected at the site of the original burials to remember those who died 14 November 1917 from Powles, C.G. (1922), p. 264 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
- HMNZT 6. Orari tatler : a souvenir of the voyage of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force from Wellington to Alexandria, Oct. 16th-Dec. 3rd, 1914. (1915). [Cairo, Egypt]: Whitehead, Morris and Co. (Egypt) Ltd. AWMM
|03 October 2017||Murray||Hamilton, New Zealand||Other relative||
|31 July 2016||Sarndra||Auckland, New Zealand||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.