Arthur Desmond AWMM
Also known as
WWI 11/271 AWMM
19 October 1881 Military personnel file
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW1 Pre 14 August 1914 AWMM Herbertville, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Mrs E. Herrick (mother), Napier, New Zealand AWMM
Medals and Awards
- Military Cross (MC) AWMM
Citation for Military Cross (MC): "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He handled his machine gun detachment with great courage and ability throughout the operations, thereby affording most effective help to his regiment." (London Gazette, 3 March 1917, p. 2199) AWMM
- Mentioned in Despatches (MiD) Twice AWMM
Citation for Mentioned in Despatches (MID): "For gallant and distinguished conduct in the field or for other valuable services. General A.J. Murray's despatch dated 1st March 1917. (Commander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force)" (London Gazette, 6 July 1917, p. 6774)
Citation for Mentioned in Despatches (MID): "Mentioned in General E.H.H. Allenby's despatch for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty while under his command. (Egyptian Expeditionary Force)" (London Gazette, 14 June 1918, p. 7058) AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Son of Jasper L. Herrick, of Hawke's Bay.
Gained commission as Second Lieutenant on 30 May 1915 (Studholme 1928).
Promoted to Captain on 8 October 1917 (Studholme 1928).
Temporary Officer Commanding, 6th Squadron, [?Wellington Mounted Rifles] (Studholme 1928).
"Was educated here from 1892-1897. On leaving he started sheep-farming and at one time achieved fame as a keen and successful gentleman rider. He enlisted on the outbreak of war, leaving New Zealand with the Expeditionary Force as a trooper in the 9th Squadron, Wellington Mounted Rifles. He won his commission on the field at Gallipoli, but was invalided to England in the latter half of the same year. Returning to the East in March, 1916, he rejoined his regiment in Egypt and took part in all the fighting in Palestine up to the time of his death. When in command of a Lewis gun section at Gaza he did valuable work, for which he was awarded the M.C. Early in 1917 he received promotion to the rank of Captain, was once wounded and three times mentioned in despatches. After leading a successful cavalry charge at Ayum Kara, he was killed on November 14th, 1917." (In Memoriam, 1914-1918 [Wanganui Collegiate School]) AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Arthur Desmond Herrick by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Arthur Desmond Herrick
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 325 AWMM
- In Memoriam, 1914-1918. (1919).Wanganui, N.Z.: Collegiate School. AWMM
- McDonald, W. (2001). Honours and awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War, 1914-1918. Napier, N.Z.: Helen McDonald. AWMM
p. 142. AWMM
- Studholme, J. (1928). New Zealand Expeditionary Force record of personal services during the war of officers, nurses, and first-class warrant officers, and other facts relating to the N.Z.E.F. : unofficial but based on official records. Wellington, N.Z.: Government Printer. AWMM
Studholme, J. (1928). p. 151. AWMM
- Powles, C.G. (1922). The New Zealanders in Sinai and Palestine. Auckland, N.Z.: Whitcombe & Tombs. AWMM
Ayun Kara Memorial (since destroyed) erected at the site of the original burials to remember those who died 14 November 1917, p. 264 AWMM
- Williams, E. G. (1914-1918). [Williams Album 3]. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Tamaki Paenga Hira. PH-ALB-212. AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
|12 April 2015||Des||Auckland NZ||Other||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.