Also known as
WWI 8/1267 AWMM
7 December 1894 Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra Timaru
, Canterbury Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Te Puke, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
W. Jefferies (father), Kongahu, Westport, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 14 December 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
5' 10.5" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
199 lb AWMM
Son of William A. and Ada Jefferies, of Konguhu, Westport, Greymouth.
Private Jefferies was reported as Missing in Action 2-24 May 1915. He was probably killed on Dead Man's Ridge (Pope's Hill) in an attack on Baby 700.
Embarked Alexandria to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, Gallipoli, 12 April 1915.
Reported missing, 1-23 May 1915.
Court of Enquiry, held at Moascar Camp, Egypt, 22 March 1916, concluded, 'Missing, now reasonable to suppose killed in action May 1st to May 23rd '.
Parents: William A. and Ada Jefferies, Konguhu, Westport, Greymouth AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Lone Pine Memorial, Lone Pine Cemetery, Anzac, Turkey AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William Jefferies by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Page No: 366 AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- The Fields of Remembrance Trust: Brothers Field, Auckland Museum (Armistice, 2018) AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.