Arthur Heather AWMM
Also known as
WWI 34304 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs I.E.E. Aitken (mother), Kereone Estate, Morrinsville, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Son of Alexander and Isaline Elsie Elizabeth Aitken, of 'Kereone', near Morrinsville.
He attended King's College and is commemorated in their Roll of Honour.
Further educated at St. John's College (1901-2).
"Private advice has been received that Private Arthur H. Aitken, youngest son of Mrs. Alex. Aitken, of Kereone, near Morrinsville, has been killed in France. He was a native of Auckland, and was educated at St. John’s College. He formerly was on the staff of the Union Bank of Australia, but for some time prior to going to the war he was farming with his brother at Kereone. Private Aitken was about 32 years of age." (Auckland Weekly News, 18 October 1917, p. 45) AWMM
- Tyne Cot Memorial, Tyne Cot Cemetery, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
- Te Aroha First World War Memorial, Kenrick Street, Te Aroha. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Arthur Heather Aitken by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Arthur Heather Aitken
- King's College, Auckland. (1918). King's College, Auckland : the Great War, 1914-18. Auckland, N.Z.: The College. AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1918). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume III. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
55: 4 AWMM
- Auckland Weekly News AWMM
Obituary: Auckland Weekly News, 18 October 1917, p. 45 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2020). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-5). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.