George Lee AWMM
Also known as
- WWI 23/229 AWMM
- WWI 1/723A AWMM
14 January 1893 AWMM AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW1 Unknown AWMM 52 Sarsfield Street, Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Lee McKinstry (father), 52 Sarsfield Street, Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 15 August 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
George McKinstry was the son of George Lee McKinstry and Amelia Wilkinson McKinstry, of Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand.
Two sons died in WW1 George Lee McKinstry (23/229) kia and and Leslie Gordon McKinstry (12/3101) of illness in Featherston Camp.
Joined 3 Auckland Regt. C.R.O. 1/723 on commencement of hostilities August 1914 at the age of 21 years. Left NZ for Samoa on SS Moeraki and was discharged on his return to NZ 1915. He re-enlisted in the Rifle Brigade.
Attended Auckland Grammar School.
The Museum Library Archives collection hold a souvenir album/autograph book belonging to Sergeant Bernard McGeehan and was donated by his family in 1999. The first page of the book contains the signatures of 'Officers and friends of B. McGeehan 3rd Auckland Regiment, Radio Station, Apia, Samoa'. George McKinstry was one of those who signed. McGeehan, Elizabeth B. Autographed wartime souvenir publication, 'Samoa' [c1914-1915]. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2004/43 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery, Armentieres, France AWMM I. B. 24. AWMM
Obituary: Auckland Grammar School Chronicle. 1916. AWMM
- Family grave memorial, Waikaraka Cemetery, 1 Alfred Street, Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- Auckland Grammar School War Memorial, New Zealand AWMM
- St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church, 65 Jervois Rd, Ponsonby, Auckland 1011 AWMM
- All Saints Church, 284 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby Auckland 1011 AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember George Lee McKinstry by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
George Lee McKinstry
- Connolly, A., & Stanes, P. Rememberance: Auckland Grammar School Great War Roll of Honour. Vols 1 & 2. Auckland: Petand Prodctions. AWMM
- Unpublished papers: family papers. AWMM
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 461 AWMM
- Auckland Grammar School Chronicle. Auckland, N.Z.: Auckland Grammar School. AWMM
Obituary: 1916, Second term. p.12 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 3: Includes portrait AWMM
- McGeehan, Elizabeth B. Autographed wartime souvenir publication, 'Samoa' [ca. 1914 - 1915]. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library- Tāmaki Paenga Hira. MS-2004-43. AWMM
Includes signature AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.