Joseph Tai AWMM
Also known as
WWII 39288 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW2 Unknown AWMM C/o Kaipara Steam Ship Company, Helensville, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW2 Mrs M.A. Angell (mother), Portland, Whangarei, North Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- WW2 POW - Crete List of 2NZEF POW (MS 2009/8)
Crete, Greece List of 2NZEF POW (MS 2009/8)
- WW2 POW - Stalag VIII-B (later 344), Lamsdorf, Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 25004 AWMM
"While fighting, Joe Angell was wounded and managed to drag himself into a cave to evade detection by German forces.
He was discovered by a boy named Mihalis Anastasias, and taken in by his family from the village of Kondomani, where he lived for about 18 months.
Mihalis' father had been executed by the Germans, so the family helped Joe Angell assimilate into village life, giving him a Greek name and uniform, and had him toil in the fields.
"When Dad was able and recovered and well enough, he couldn't do enough for the family. He realised the price they paid so he dedicated himself to that family and that village."
What made the story even more remarkable was that Joe Angell's cousin, Ned Nathan, was also wounded and taken in by another family in a village three days walk away.
When Mr Nathan learnt of his cousin's survival, he had to convince the locals they were related by describing the tattoo of a Hawaiian girl Joe Angell had on his arm.
Mr Nathan eventually married the daughter of the village doctor, while Joe Angell became involved in the Greek community in New Zealand, meaning their experiences were never far away from family life back in the Bay of Islands."
- The Nelson Mail
May 05 2010 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Joseph Tai Angell by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Joseph Tai Angell
- Cody, J. (1956). 28 (Maori) Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 2 (Embarkations to 30th June, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 2: WW2 9 AWMM
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.