John David Atirau AWMM
Also known as
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Tokaanu, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs P. Asher (mother), Tokaanu, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 21 July 1943 AWMM Single AWMM
18 February 1944 AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag VII-A Moosburg (Isar), Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 130635 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember John David Atirau Asher by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
John David Atirau Asher
John was my sisters birth father. Rita Josephine. Known as Jo. My mother met him whilst working for his father in Tokaanu after the war.
I corresponded with him for a couple of years in the 80's to reconnect him with my sister.
He was an extremely humble and kind man.
Public - Maria - Friend - 24 January 2016
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 12 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1943 to 31st December, 1943). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- Gardiner, W. (2019). Ake ake kia kaha e! : Forever brave! : B Company 28 (Maori) Battalion, 1939-1945. Auckland : Bateman Books. AWMM
|24 January 2016||Maria||Australia||Friend||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.