Mr Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family records
Also known as
- Maui AWMM
- Dick Maui, Tikitu Maui Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family records
WWII 802097 AWMM
Ngati Pukeko Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family records
- Mataatua AWMM
- Mataatua Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family records
Catholic Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family records
Date of birth
03 July 1923 Public - Lorene - Direct descendant - 23 April 2017 - Family
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW2 Poroporo, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW2 Mr R. Ngoungou (brother), Poroporo, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Date of death
30/04/2005 Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family papers
Age at death
- 82 Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family papers
- 81 Public - Whatarangi Edward - Child - 1 May 2015 - Chronologically - born 03/07/1923 & passed away 30/04/2005 which would make him 81 at time of death.
Place of death
Cause of death
Stroke, heart disease Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015 - Family papers
Roll of Honour
Remember Dick Ngoungou by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them. Laurence Binyon
Public - Matt - Self - 26 April 2017
“Life every man holds dear; but the dear man holds honor far more precious dear than life.” Shakespeare
Public - Harmeet - 25 April 2017
“You silent tents of green, We deck with fragrant flowers; Yours has the suffering been, The memory shall be ours”-Henry Wadsworth
Public - Ashish - 24 April 2017
I can't believe it's going to be 10yrs this year Koro, So many things have changed yet our love for you is constant. Rest in peace Koro always remembered xoxo
Public - Bunchy & Craig - Other Relative - 25 April 2015
Miss you my koro may you rest in peace love from peka xoxoxoxo <3
Public - Rebecca Evelyne Jean - Other Relative - 25 April 2015
I remember Dad telling me how he was shot in the leg. Dad's friend Tut Hona stayed with him, he never left his side, Dad's brother William Maui ran back to get him and they both carried him back to safety. Dad's leg was stitched with twine. Dad received news his Grandmother Hera Ngoungou passed away while he was serving.
Dad's trip back to Rome for the 60th Anniversary for the battle of Cassino was a trip he cherished he made peace with God, that was very important to him because of his Catholic Faith.
Dad spent his days tending to his vegetable garden, finding water for people, betting on the horses raising his Grandson and loving all his whanau he passed away on a cold winters evening and on the day of his funeral it rained and rained true to his element
He is survived by his 10 children and many grandchildren + great grandchildren.
I miss you Dad "Peace be with you" Love Edie.
Public - Edith - Child - 24 April 2015
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 11 (Embarkations from 1st April, 1943 to 30th June, 1943). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 11: WW2 96 AWMM
- Gardiner, W. (2019). Ake ake kia kaha e! : Forever brave! : B Company 28 (Maori) Battalion, 1939-1945. Auckland : Bateman Books. AWMM
- Cody, J. (1956). 28 (Maori) Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
|26 April 2017||Matt||Auckland NZ||Self||
|25 April 2017||Harmeet||Auckland ||Other||
|24 April 2017||Ashish||auckland||Other||
|23 April 2017||Lorene||Whakatane New Zealand||Direct descendant||
|01 May 2015||Whatarangi Edward||Whakatane, New Zealand||Child||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.